Before the course the students will read the given articles. During the course the articles will be discussed in so called reading groups on the 12th of May:
- articles by Antrop and Walz - Landscape ecology - introduction by Iwona Markuszewska
- articles by Minca and Waage - Cultural landscape - introduction by Minna Tanskanen
- articles by Newman and Janczak - Methods and methodologies of landscape research - introduction by Josep Vila Subiros
How to read the articles?
You need to focus to questions like
- What is the point of the article? What are the research questions?
- What is the viewpoint of the article?
- How the author defines/uses/utilizes the concept of landscape?
- What materials and methods the author has used?
- What are the main results of the research? What are the main theses by the author?
- What did you learn?
Articles which will be discussed in "reading groups" -sessions:
- Marc Antrop (2006): From holistic landscape synthesis to transdisciplinary landscape management. In: Tress, B.; Tres, G.; Fry, G.; Opdam, P. (Eds.): From Landscape Research to Landscape Planning: Aspects of Integration, Education and Application, 27-50. http://edepot.wur.nl/137340
- Ulrich Walz (2011): Landscape Structure, Landscape Metrics and Biodiversity. Living Rev. Landscape Res. 5:3, online article. http://landscaperesearch.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrlr-2011-3/
- Claudio Minca (2007): Humboldt’s compromise, or the forgotten geographies of landscape. Progress in Human Geography 31:2, 179-193. Minca 2007
- Edda R.H. Waage (2012): Landscape in the sagas of Icelanders: The concepts of land and landsleg. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift - Norwegian Journal of Geography, 66:4, 177-192. Waage 2013
- David Newman (2003): On Borders and Power: A Theoretical Framework. Journal of Borderlands Studies,18:1, 13-25. Newman 2003
- Jaroslaw Janczak (2007). Europeanization of Trans-border Communities. The Polish-German Case. In Jaroslaw Janczak (ed.) Rediscovering Europe: Political Changes in the 21st century EU, 77-88. Institute of Political Science and Journalism. AMU, Poznan. Jañczak_Rediscovering