Joensuu? Where on Earth is it?
See Finland and Joensuu on the map
Find Joensuu and Finland with Google Earth
Visit the website of the city of Joensuu
360 panoramas of Joensuu
How do I get to Joensuu?
See Getting there -website of the city of Joensuu http://www.vaellus.info/eng_gettingthere.php.
From Helsinki you can get to Joensuu by an airplane. The flight takes about an hour.
- Link to the main page of the Finnish airport services http://www.finavia.fi/home
- Link to the Joensuu Airport http://www.finavia.fi/airports/airport_joensuu
- For time tables: http://www.finavia.fi/airports/airport_joensuu?pg=1091647
Links to some airlines' websites:
- Helsinki can be easiest reached by an airplane. However, if you come to Helsinki from Sweden or Estonia, you may even like to take a boat/ferry. http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/
By train your journey from Helsinki to Joensuu takes about five hours.
- For time tables and tickets prices see VR website: http://www.vr.fi/en/index.html
There is also a bus connection from Helsinki to Joensuu. This is perhaps not the most comfortable way to travel such a long distance, but if you have an early morning flight to catch on your way back, it might come out handy. Link to the timetables and fares: http://www.matkahuolto.fi/en/
Also other major cities like Tampere and Turku have good train and bus connections to Joensuu. If you fly with Ryanair you might like to come via Tampere and continue from there by train. Ryanair also has flights to Lappeenranta, which lies closer to Joensuu than Helsinki but is on the same train route.
How do I get to the University Campus or to my accommodation once I have reached Joensuu?
- From the airport - by the airport bus or by taxi http://www.finavia.fi/airports/airport_joensuu?pg=1091648
- From the railway station - by taxi (if necessary). Most likely some taxies will be waiting just outside the Railway Station, but if not, you can order one by calling 0600 90100
- The closest hotel to the railway station is just across the street. You can just walk there.
- Here is a link to a website where you can look for some other hotels to choose from:
- If you like to take a walk from the Railway Station to the University Campus Area, it is not that far either. Take first a look at the map linked here:
The little blue square on the right hand side of the river marks the bus station and the railway station. First, walk across the bridge. Then follow the street called Siltakatu until it takes a slight turn to the right. The University is right there! On the map marks B, C, D and E represent different buildings on the campus. Our meetings will be held in a building called Agora, which is marked by B.