Educational Robotics initiatives in Namibia and worldwide
|I am a computer scientist from Namibia, currently pursuing a PhD in educational robotics at UEF.|
- Master of Computer Science, Namibia University of Science and Technology, Gamification
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Information Technology (Honours), University of Namibia, Computer Science modules
PhD Research Topic
A design study on the impact of educational robotics and sensor technology in Namibia.
Shipepe, A., Jormanainen, I., & Sutinen, E. (2020) Educational Robotics initiatives in Namibia and worldwide. In Proceedings of the Eight International Conference on Technological Ecosystems for Enhancing Multiculturality (TEEM 2020) (Salamanca, Spain, October 21-23, 2020), ACM, New York, NY, USA, 6 pages.
Copper A., Jormanainen, I., Shipepe, A., Sutinen, E. (2020). Faith Communities Online: Christian Churches’ Reactions to the COVID_19 Outbreak. Article has been accepted for publication in Int. J. of Web Based Communities.
Shipepe, A., Jormanainen, I., Duveskog, M., & Sutinen, E. (2020, July). Screams of joy yield creative projects at the educational robotics workshop in Namibia. In 2020 IEEE 20th International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT) (pp. 103-105). IEEE.
Shipepe, A. & Peters, A. (2018). The Hard Struggle: A Co-designed Interactive Career Guidance Online Game. In Installations paper of the 2nd Africa Conference for Human Computer Interaction (AfriCHI ‘18), December 3-7, 2018, Windhoek, Namibia. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 4 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3283458.3283512
Shipepe, A. & Peters, A. (2018). Designing an interactive career guidance learning system using gamification. In Extended Abstracts of the 2nd Africa Conference for Human Computer Interaction (AfriCHI ‘18), December 3-7, 2018, Windhoek, Namibia. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 4 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3283458.3283481
Shipepe, A., & Peters, A. (2017). Designing for Career Choices in Namibia. Paper presented at the HCIxB Symposium 2017 at the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, May 2017, Denver CO, USA.
Shikeenga, E., Nashandi, N., Shipepe, A., Ndjibu, R., & Peters, A. (2017). How can HCI help combat Gender based Violence. Paper presented at the HCIxB Symposium 2017 at the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, May 2017, Denver CO, USA.
Hamunyela, S., Shipepe, A., Shikeenga, E., Bidwell, NJ (2016). Success, Hype or Myth or Women in Computing: A Reflection. Proceedings of AfriCHI'16 African Conference for Human Computer Interaction. Nairobi, Kenya, Nov. 2016. ACM Press. 978-1- 4503-4830- 0
- Lecturer, University of Namibia and Windhoek, Namibia, July 2019 and Present
- Assistant Lecturer, University of Namibia and Windhoek, Namibia, September 2015 – June 2019
Previous work experience
- Part-time Project Management Adjunct Lecturer, Namibia Business School, University of Namibia, April 2016 – August 2019
- Part-time Junior System Analyst, Computer Centre, University of Namibia, March 2014 – August 2015.
- Part-time Research Assistant, Multi-Disciplinary Research Centre, University of Namibia, December 2013.
- Part-time ICT Student Assistant, Computer Centre, University of Namibia, February 2013 – November 2013
- Webmaster Student Intern, Multi-Disciplinary Research Centre, University of Namibia, June 2012 – December 2012
- Organised an educational robotics workshop happened at the Future Tech Lab of the University of Turku’s plug-in campus at the University of Namibia, 28th November - 02nd December 2019
- Served as a local co-chair for Africa Conference for Human Computer Interaction (AfriCHI) 2018
- Co-trained 100 girls on Sonic Pi programming at Techcamp Namibia, June 2018
- Python Workshop at NUST 22 July 2017
- Android Software Development Workshop at Namibia Women 25th in Computing Annual Conference, March 2017
- Django Girls Workshops coach at PyCon Namibia Conference, 21st February 2017
- Cyber Security coach at the Cyber Security workshop at NUST, 27 May 2016
- Android training to 150 women in celebration of the International Women’s Day, 23 April 2016
- Offered a Web Development training at Eenhana to the Eenhana community in northen Namibia in a local language, 31 April 2016
- Offered basic HTML Training to students at UNAM Oshakati Northern Campus, October 2015
- Offered Android training for beginners at NBII Developers’ Circle, February 2015
Awarded/Sponsored Professional Development Activities
|TEEM2020 Virtual Conference, October 2020||University of Eastern Finland|
|8th Heidelberg Laureate Virtual Forum, September 2020||Heidelberg Laureate Forum|
|ICALT2020 Virtual Conference, July 2020||University of Turku|
|Google I/O Annual Developer Conference, Mountain View, California, May 2019|
|Sub-Sahara Africa Facebook Developer Circle Summit, Lagos, Nigeria December 2018|
|Cape Peninsula University of Technology Research Visit, Cape Town, SA May 2018||National Commission on Research Science and Technology (NCRST)|
|F8 Facebook Developer Conference, San Jose, USA May 2018|
|Africa’s Brightest Young Minds (BYM) Summit, Johannesburg, South Africa September 2017||Brightest Young Minds|
|WTM & GDG Summit, Lagos Nigeria September 2017|
|Africa Internet Summit, Nairobi, Kenya May 2017||Internet Society|
|2nd Community Networks Summit, Nairobi, Kenya May 2017||Internet Society|
|Community Networks Wireless Technical Training, Nairobi, Kenya May 2017||Internet Society|
|CHI’17 Conference, Denver, USA May 2017||HCI Across Borders (HCIxB)|
|HCIxB Symposium, Denver, USA May 2017||HCI Across Borders (HCIxB)|
|AfriCHI Conference, Nairobi, Kenya November 2016||Internet Society|
|1st Community Networks Summit, Nairobi, Kenya November 2016||Internet Society|
I am passionate about the computing and I have volunteered and led different tech initiatives in Namibia as listed below.
- Team Leader of the University of Namibia’s Robotics Club
- Co-founder and Founding Vice President of the Internet Society Namibia Chapter
- Former co-lead of the Facebook Developer Circle - Windhoek
- Former co-lead of the Google Developer Group (GDG) – Windhoek
- Member of the ACM SIGCHI Windhoek Chapter
- Executive member of the Namibia Women in Computing
- Active member of the Namibia Business Innovation Institute (NBII) Developer Circle
- No labels