Jarkko Tapani Suhonen, b. 19.9.1975, Valtimo, Finland.
- Master of Science, Computer Science, University of Joensuu, 2000
- Doctor of Philosophy, Computer Science, University of Joensuu, 2005
- Docent, School of Computing, University of Eastern Finland, 2016
Academic work experience
Main working positions
- 2000-2001, Research Amanuensis, University of Joensuu
- 2001-2002, Assistant, University of Joensuu
- 2002-2005, Doctoral Student, ECSE Graduate School, University of Joensuu
- 2003-2004, Graduate Assistant, Massey University, New Zealand
- 2005, Senior Lecturer, University of Joensuu
- 2005-2006, Professor, University of Joensuu
- 2006-2007, Director of Research, University of Joensuu
- 2008-2012, Senior Assistant, University of Joensuu/University of Eastern Finland,
- 2012 - current, Senior Researcher, University of Eastern Finland.
Supervised doctoral disserations
- Joseph Kizito Bada, Integrating digital learning objects for HIV/AIDS prevention: a contextualised approach, February 2013.
List of main peer-reviewed academic publications:
- Suhonen, J., & Sutinen, E. (2014). The four pillar model - Analysing the sustainability of online doctoral programmes. TechTrends, 58(4), 81-88.
- Paliktzoglou, V., & Suhonen, J. (2014). Facebook as an assisted learning tool in problem-based learning: The Bahrain case. International Journal of Social Media and Interactive Learning Environments, 2(1), 85-100.
- Roy, A., Kihoza, P.D., Suhonen, J., Vesisenaho, M., & Tukiainen, M. (2014). Promotibng proper education for sustainability: An exploratory study of ICT enhanced Problem-Based Learning in a developing country. International Journal of Education and Development using Information and Communication Technology, 10(1), 70-90.
- Roy, A., Suhonen, J., & Vesisenaho, M. (2013). Children as agents for social change: A technology-supported pedagogical framework. In Proceedings of the 10th International JTEFS/BBCC Conference, Sustainable Development, Culture, Education, Reorientation of Teacher Education towards Sustainability through Theory and Practice (pp. 157-171). University of Eastern Finland.
- Suhonen, J., deVilliers, M.R., & Sutinen, E. (2012) FODEM: a multi-threaded research and development method for educational technology. Educational Technology Research and Development, 60, 2, 287-305.
- Bada, J., & Suhonen, J. (2011). Survey on ICT for HIV/AIDS preventive education: Are the teenagers forgotten in developing countries. Journal of Emerging Trend in Computing and Information Sciences, 6(2), 297-308.
- Bada, J., & Suhonen, J. (2011). NetAIDS: Digital learning environment for HIV/AIDS education in Ugandan schools. Journal of Health Informatics in Developing Countries, 5(2), 297-308.
- Laine, T., & Suhonen, J. (2008). Establishing a mobile blog system in a distance education environment. International Journal of Mobile Learning and Organisation, 2(2), 149-165.
- Suhonen, J., & Sutinen, E. (2007). Learning Computer Science over the Web: the ViSCoS Odyssey. In R. C. Sharma, & S. Mishra (Ed.), Cases on Global E-Learning Practices: Successes and Pitfalls (pp. 176-188). Idea Group Publishing.
- Suhonen, J., & Sutinen, E. (2006). FODEM: Developing digital learning environments in widely dispersed learning communities. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 9(3), 43-55.
Full publication list: http://publicationslist.org/jarkko.suhonen
- Program Chair of the 10th Koli Calling International Conference on Computing Education Research, 2010
- Program Committee Member of International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, 2007-2014
- Program Committee Member of the Annual Koli Calling International Conference on Computing Education Research, 2006-2014
- Program Committee Member of the IADIS International Conference on Cognition and Exploratory Learning in Digital Age, 2007-2014
- Co-ordinator of NSS Informatics on the Ground Project, 2014-2015
- Co-ordinator of NSS Garage Computing Project, 2010-2013
- Co-ordinator of Establishing a Nordic Centre of Excellence in ICT4D Project, 2009-2010.
- Reviewer of international journals, Educational Technology & Society, Educational Technology Research and Development, Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology and MERLOT - Journal of Online Learning and Teaching.
- Chair of the UniPID virtual studies working group 2008-2010
- Member of the UniPID virtual studies working group 2007-2008
- Finnish, native
- English, good
- Swedish, fluent